Departing from Caudebec, Norman Abbeys, Fecamp, back to Caudebec (10 hours)
Opposite Photo : © Abbey of Saint-Wandrille-Rancon
Also known under the name "Fontenelle Abbey", this abbey knew the Vikings invasions, their looting and fires, but it is still there ! And it has reached us in a much better condition than its neighbor, Jumièges Abbey. Because after the Vikings, there were the Wars of Religion, then the unstable period of the French Revolution.
Founded by Benedictine monks in the 7th century, it is still Benedictine monks who perpetuate its existence today.
The Abbey of Notre-Dame du Pre of Valmont
Opposite Photo : © Abbey Notre-Dame du Pre of Valmont
The Notre-Dame du Pre abbey is located south-east of Fecamp, on the banks of the Valmont, a short river that flows into the Channel at Fecamp. Its foundation dates back to the second part of the 12th century, on the initiative of a powerful family in the region, the Estouteville family, who in addition to a place of prayer, also built their necropolis. Like many religious sites in France, the consequences of the French Revolution almost put an end to this place of prayer and reception of the poorest, after 600 years of existence. The site, acquired by individuals at that time, after the dispersion of the religious, was restored to monastic life in 1994, the Benedictines of Notre-Dame du Pre of Lisieux having taken over the premises.
Opposite Photo : © Philippe DEVANNE
The port city of Fecamp, on the mouth of the Valmont in the Channel, has several nicknames due to its long history. City of the Dukes of Normandy because the Viking Dynasty installed its duchy there, after having properly burned and looted what was there. To better rebuild over the 300 years that followed.
Fecamp, land of pilgrimage at the time of the Viking Dynasty, since there are the Relics of the Precious Blood discovered in the Abbey of the Holy Trinity. The internal strife which marked the end of the Viking Dynasty having made the cauchois paths unsafe, even dangerous, Mont-Saint-Michel will become the new Norman land of pilgrimage.
Fecamp, the Women City, at the gold age of cod fishing in the Newfoundland (Canada waters) last century, gold age that lasted about 50 years and made Fecamp a top fishing port in France. With its own shipyard !
Fecamp, cradle of a liqueur which gave its name to a flamboyant baroque style palace, the palace of the Benedictine.
To learn more about Fecamp and discover more things to visit, please follow here under tag.
You select below in the first drop-down menu :
- The Tour "Caudebec, norman abbeys, Alabaster Coast, Caudebec (10 hours)",
- You select then Caudebec-en-Caux as point of departure,
- The number of people : 2 minimum, 4 maximum.
- The date on which you wish to book your tour,
And you book online !
Other towns that have the same postal code than Caudebec for which this tour / rate is valid :
Anquetierville, Louvetot, Maulevrier-Sainte-Gertrude, Saint-Arnoult, Saint-Gilles-de-Cretot, Saint-Nicolas-de-la-Haie, Saint-Wandrille-Rançon, Villequier
- Attention to the duration of the circuit between brackets in the title,
- For Cruisers held by a return schedule, it is this return schedule that will govern the departure time of Fecamp, knowing that it takes around 55 minutes of transport (excluding July / August),
- When you have selected all the options of the first screen, by clicking on "See price", you will arrive at a description of the tour chosen previously. As long as you do not click a second time on "See price" (you are still in step 1 of the booking process materialized by the line above "Select Service Type"), you can still change all the options that you wish.
- If you stay in Caudebec-en-Caux or in one of its bordering communes and want to leave directly from your place of residence, you will find later during the process of reservation a field entitled "Additional Information": use it to specify your exact starting point (as well as your place of return whether different in the municipality of Caudebec-en-Caux and neighboring).
- If you are fond of itinerant holidays, you can be dropped off in one of the communes of the described tour for the same price. You can leave your belongings in the vehicle with confidence during visits.
See you soon in our vehicles !